Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Lights

Song of the Day: Awake My Soul by Mumford & Sons

You know what I love about humans? We love to wonder. I used to feel really hurt when my friends talked about wanting to leave and get away; but it's because they had realized just how much there is to see in the world and got the itch to go see it all. And having acquired that itch, I know that scratching won't do a damn thing.
This occurred to me as I was listening to the "Tangled" soundtrack ('cos I'm awesome). In this newest version of the story, Rapunzel is consumed by all the things she hasn't seen, mostly because she is not allowed to see them. It's human nature to immediately want to do the things we're forbidden from doing.
Rapunzel is first worried about the lights not being as amazing as she imagines them to be; she's built them up in her mind so much that it's totally possible that they won't be as wonderful as she thinks. But there's also the possibility that they will be every bit as spectacular as she expects--then what? A majority of her life has been an effort to get out of her tower to see this one event, so what does she do after she sees them? I like Flynn/Eugene's answer: "You get to find a new dream." When your dream is realized, appreciate it, but don't stop dreaming.
I want to try to be more like Rapunzel and get excited just for leaving the house (though obviously my situation is rather different). I go on the same walk every Monday morning, and every time it takes my breath away. And I'm hoping I can be that appreciative throughout the rest of the week too. It's just really difficult when I'm trapped in the mall.
This evening when I got home, the first thing I noticed when I stepped out of my car was how bright the crescent moon was. And I was ridiculously happy that I could see stars. And more than anything I'm thankful that my mood never clouds my ability to see how gorgeous the world is.
Lauren, I don't know if you read this regularly or not. But if you happen to see this one, thank you for reminding me that I have time to see things. And until I see the places I've built up in my head, I'm doing my best to marvel at things right here. Because the world is really fucking cool.

All those days watching from the windows / All those years outside looking in / All that time never even knowing / just how blind I've been. -I See The Light, Tangled soundtrack

No comments:

Post a Comment