Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Introductions

Song of the Day: Follow Me by Uncle Kracker (do you remember this song? Holy cow.)

This here is a post about honesty. Good, old-fashioned straight shooting. And how people don't.
Now this is one of those things that I never really thought about, but once I did it was like, "Well, duh." But I thought it was interesting that I thought about it at all so HERE GOES. I DON'T DO THIS FOR YOU.
When we meet people, we aren't honest. It's not that we outright lie (generally) but we certainly withhold some things. There's a screening process that goes into meeting new people and making friends. You don't go up to a stranger and say, "Hi, my name's Emma. I have crippling body image problems and raging jealousy issues that stem from deep-seated insecurity. And I like Harry Potter." You don't say shit like that because it weirds people out. You have to meet someone and decide (based on the version of them presented at the time) whether it's worth it to make them like you. Then once they do, you have to further decide if they're worth trusting. That's the big one. You don't tell someone you can't trust about your deepest flaws. It's just this weird filter that humans put other humans through because we aren't willing to be transparent with just anyone. And because of this whole process, one of the highest compliments you can give someone (in my opinion) is to say that you trust them.
In other news, I may have a SUPER rad Halloween costume idea. If I can manage to pull it off, it will be so fantastic. This was a nice short post. Happy early Christmas!

I talk myself in, I talk myself out / I get all worked up then I let myself down. -Haven't Met You Yet, Michael Buble

2 comments:

  1. Human interaction is weird. One hides the truth to find out if another is trustworthy. It's an act we all know we're playing, but are able to pretend it's genuine. Here would be my genuine introduction:

    "Hi, I'm Michael. I'm so anxious about being around new people that I feel nauseous. It's not your fault. I'm a political radical. I play video games too much and I spend a ridiculous amount of time thinking about Harry Potter."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are why the internet exists.

    ReplyDelete