Sunday, September 11, 2011

Obligatory

Song of the Day: Better Together by Jack Johnson

Okay. I'm not going to talk about 9/11. It's been talked about by others, and honestly I don't have new opinions to offer on the matter.
We moved into our new place on Wednesday the 7th (I know I said no more posts about moving, but this is more about the aftermath of moving). I got to drive the U-Haul on moving day, and according to everyone that was really hilarious to see. We had trouble with setting up our internet for a few days (turned out our router was old and shitty) but we finally fixed that and are pretty much settled in now.
In a word, living on my own is weird. I don't think I've gotten up the first time my alarm went off...ever. But I have done that every day since we got here. At 8 o'clock, no less. But I've gotten shit done! Or at least tried to. I'm really glad we moved in two weeks(ish) before school started, it's going to be chaotic enough without trying to get all this together right before classes begin.
Emily's friend Mike (her boyfriend's roommate) came over on Friday night and brought us a bottle of nice bourbon. Now, I'm a straight-edge and I don't drink. And the bourbon is so damn strong that I didn't have any of it straight because I didn't want to react like a pansy when I tasted it. But yesterday I ended up putting some in my lemonade and HOT DAMN, was that delicious. Fruit juice and bourbon, go figure. I honestly don't understand drinking to get drunk. I figure if something tastes good, drink it. If you enjoy it and end up getting drunk, well, whoops. But I don't see the fun in drinking with the intention of getting shitfaced. Drunkenness = vulnerability (especially for a girl) and that's not really my game. We ended up having Story Time for hours (the sort of Story Time that requires every story to be prefaced with "This never leaves the room right? RIGHT??") and I found it hilarious that when they got to me, there was nothing to be told. Both Emily and Kayley tried to come up with something, but there was just nothing of the caliber of the others' stories. Clean livin'.
We met the guy who moved into the apartment above ours. His name is Josh. With Kayley's help, he quickly became a really creepy joke and now we're sort of obsessed with him. I'm pretty sure he lives alone. We brought him freshly made cookies the night he moved in and left a note (he wasn't home). Haven't heard back yet. But it's really fun referring to him as "The Man Upstairs." I really hope he can't hear all our creepy jokes and keep waiting for "Dear Girls Below Me" to crop up on the internet.
Being independent is REALLY expensive. Luckily my parents stocked us up on lots of food staples. I still really need a job though. And I'm expecting to survive the winter with snuggies and space heaters.
I finished season 2 of Doctor Who last night. The Doctor's face...god damn. I had to do the dishes and listen to Louis Armstrong to get over it enough to go to bed. I watched the Christmas special today (which I guess was TECHNICALLY the end of the season) and I absolutely love how David Tennant plays the Doctor's grief. There is such an intense darkness that overcomes him when Donna asks him about Rose. And I loved his line, "She is SO alive!" Tennant just IS the Doctor to me.
I've gotten a fair bit done today (cello practice, dishes, laundry, DW, Skype with Brett, a bit of job searching) but I feel slightly useless. I think that's partly because I don't really have the option of going outside at the moment. I still don't totally know where things are, at least not confidently enough to go alone. Plus I can't really get to downtown on foot. And the people I know haven't moved up here. I'm excited for when they do =] There is SO much to do, and I think I can do it. I'm excited for classes to start because I have felt myself getting dumber over the last year and I want to stretch my brain again. I'll probably have to take a couple of bullshit requirement classes, but I know there will be some music core classes so that will be cool. My biggest issue at the moment is money. So if I can get that at least sort of taken care of, everything will be good. I'm cool with being poor, just not SO poor that I can't afford rent.
Ha. I just read the carton of juice we bought the other day and the different flavors have little "peronsality" profiles. The one I got is "daring." Even my juice is a Gryffindor.
Well I think this is lengthy enough. Hopefully I can get a video made soon, I just need to steal Emily's flipcam for the specific one I have planned. In the meantime, I'm going to read a bit while listening to the playlist that Emily built based on Jake's request for "Chill-ass cool music."

And with every passing hour / I'm so glad I left my tower. -I've Got A Dream, Tangled

5 comments:

  1. You have no idea how close I came to titling my post today, "Obligatory." Also, I don't understand why anyone would drink alcohol without the intention of getting drunk. Alcohol makes things taste worse than they normally do, so why make the sacrifice if you're not gonna feel it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds, eh? ;)

    I guess I see where you're coming from. It doesn't ALWAYS make things taste worse. There are like, two alcoholic drinks I actually enjoy. I think my stance stems from the fact that I've seen girls do awful, stupid, destructive things while drunk and I never want to be those girls. However, I over-bourbon'd my juice a bit tonight so maybe I'll start to feel it and see what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your thinking about alcohol is probably wise. It's hard to know how drunkenness can affect any given person in any given situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I are very excite for you :) Also, 'personality'. I think. Unless 'peronsality' IS a word, and I just don't know it. But I'll chalk that little oversight up to you being either too excited to catch it or too tired to care. Or some combination of the two. ;)
    lessthansidewayseight

    ReplyDelete
  5. God dangit. ALWAYS proofread, Burbank.

    ReplyDelete