Thursday, June 2, 2011

Have An Awesome Day

Song of the Day: Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show

I've noticed that when applying for both college and work, the main advice that people have is, "Make yourself stand out." When my dad was helping me put together my resume last year, he had me write down everything I had ever done that could conceivably make me look good, whether it was relevant to the job or not (and more often, it wasn't). And teachers and students alike said the same thing about college application essays. "They go through stacks and stacks of essays; make sure that the first sentence of yours makes them pay attention." Then just a few minutes ago, I was replying to an e-mail from the cello professor at my future college (freaking finally) and I spent a few minutes just deciding how to end it. "Should I tell him to have an awesome day? That doesn't sound very professional. But when I met him he seemed like a fairly relaxed guy. It would make an impression either way."
It's annoying to think that way. Every day I have to battle against the compulsion to compare myself to others and do things to impress other people. And then suddenly that's what I NEED to do and my brains kicks into overdrive as it tries to make me stand out without making me sound like I'm desperate and trying really hard to get everyone's attention.
So that's what's bothering me today. I don't like having to MAKE myself stand out and I don't like people telling me to do so. "You're not good enough as you are, you have to PROVE how different you are. Tell them you are EXCEPTIONAL." Okay, so then what happens when they meet me and I'm not? Do I build myself up now and risk looking like a liar and a fake later on? Or do I act true to myself and down-to-earth now and risk getting swallowed up by the crowd? Either way I'm a tad fucked.

I ended up telling him to have an awesome day. Because regardless of how he views it, I genuinely hope he has an awesome day.

All the people in disguise / Hiding from all their insecurities / Learning through the test of time / Of the world's endless possibilities. -Sentiments, Dr. Noise

No comments:

Post a Comment