Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Git 'r Dun

Song of the Day: Sweet Pea by Amos Lee

Welp. I forgot my math book at home, so I'm without things to do until my theory teacher's office hour in an hour. I suppose I could go practice a little, but frankly I need to spare my wrists until a longer sesh this evening.
I seem to have set goals. They weren't exactly conscious, but within a short period of time I just sort of decided that I wanted to do certain things, or do them better. I figure, what better place to keep track of such things than on a blog that no one reads?
Goal 1: Eat in more often / just eat better. As thing get busier, Mike and I have noticed a tendency in ourselves to just pick up food while we're out because we frankly don't feel like going home and cooking after a long day. The problem is, what's easiest tends to be places like Wendy's. That's totally fine once in a while, but I'm pretty sure I've gained back the weight I lost in the fall and I don't care for it. I'm making a conscious effort to eat more fruit (that's going well so far; I've been drinking orange juice daily, and upping the amount of apples and strawberries I buy). I'm going to try turning to better food when I want snacks, like an apple or toast (because in my house, the health nut purchases bread and we end up with Honey Oat or Whole Wheat, which is a good thing). I'm going to try to start making toast in the mornings to take with me in the car, because I always get ravenous halfway through my first class, and while I bring a Clif Bar with me, it just doesn't quite say "good morning." So I buy coffee and a bagel and don't feel so awesome (mostly because of the coffee).
Goal 2: Increase practice time (aim: 14 hours/week). I'm sick of getting to lessons and realizing I've made little or no progress. I'm here to dedicate myself to music, so I'm doing myself a disservice if I don't practice like I should.
Goal 3: Set aside an hour before bed every night for reading. Simply put, I miss reading. I'm not in literary classes, so I'm not forced to read anything, and I'm not using my time wisely outside of class. So from 9-10 (yes, I have a bedtime of 10:00) is designated as reading time. It also serves as a nice wind-down from the day, rather than doing math homework right before trying to sleep.
Goal 4: Drink more water. I don't drink nearly enough, and I never have. I got a little better for a while, but I slacked off and I need to jump back on the hydration wagon. I bought a water bottle today, and my goal is to fill it twice every day. Obviously I have a little leeway because I also drink tea and orange juice pretty regularly, but with one mug/cup of each of those per day, I'm still looking at 1.5 bottles of water (the bottle is 24 oz.). I think it'll make me feel better (even if it means the sacrifice of peeing a little more often), and I'll probably lose a little weight and see my skin get a bit healthier.

I thought I would have more than 4 goals, but maybe not. And maybe that's okay. Too many goals can bog a person down. These 4 are very doable, and I can work toward all of them simultaneously without feeling overwhelmed. And they'll work together to make me healthier, both physically and mentally. Then maybe I'll be like this:

I am ready for spring. I am ready for warm. I am ready to actually want to go outside again. (And I'm ready to look good doing it =p ) Edit: I also hope to get my next tattoo within a year. S there's that. Yaaaaay needles.

Be kind to your baby / There be a change in me / Baby please make a change / I think it will do you good. -Baby Please Make A Change, Hugh Laurie

2 comments:

  1. Best of luck with those.

    I am not ready for spring. I'm annoyed that it basically never stopped being Fall here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha man, that's kinda lame. Here it was lame winter/fall, then crazy winter for a week, then lame winter, then almost-spring (50 degrees), then it snowed on Sunday and has been 35 degrees since. Yaaaaaaay climate change.

    ReplyDelete