Monday, March 5, 2012

In Which I Desire A Library


Song of the Day: Home by Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros

I miss having bookshelves. I never bought any when I moved into my apartment, mostly because there's no space for them. They would have to go in the inaccessible side of my closet, which would be a pain to get in and out considering I'll most likely be moving again this summer. But currently all of my books are in boxes which still reside on my floor, shoved as close to the walls as they can get without touching the stupid baseboard heaters. If they're not there, they're stacked in the piles of shit on my desk. I miss seeing them.
I'm currently tumbling pictures of home libraries and drooling a little. I put up one of those tumblr questionnaire things, but only one person has responded. One of them is "Describe your dream library." I really want a home library. Obviously that won't be an option for a while, but it's still nice to think about.
Natural light. Lots of it. Big windows or even glass doors that can be opened when it's warm outside. A windowseat (a comfy one, to allow someone to actually sit there for a long time while they read).
Preferably in an attic space. Obviously a big attic. But that would provide the best view and the greatest feeling of being tucked out of the way, of getting away from things for a little bit. Plus that gives it a cooler shape.
Lots of seating for all preferences. Big cushy recliner, beanbag chair, ergonomic work chairs at a big table for more studious types of reading.
No TV. No computer. Maybe a stereo because sometimes listening to music while reading is nice. CD and record collections included in the library shelves.
A rolling ladder. Because they are cool and I am short.
I'm torn between warm colors and summery-but-not-exactly-cold colors, like this:

I'm not sure why I find planning houses and rooms so comforting. I think it gives me a goal or something. Like, the places I'll live during college will never be very permanent and I'll never know how long I'll be in any of them, so my only sense of permanency comes from daydreaming about my eventual landing place. I'm not unhappy now, not in the slightest. But sometimes the idea of having a place that's truly my own where I can feel like it's ACTUALLY home is pretty appealing.
This may or may not have something to do with the fact that my parents are selling the house in which I spent most of my young life. I didn't really consider that until now. I did this sort of thing before I found that out, though (as evidenced by my Dream House post a while back). I have a tendency to think a little too far ahead, and it does funny things to my brain. Not that there isn't a certain freedom to not having a real home. I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore.
Today is going to be long. Concert tonight. Practicing for ear training final tomorrow. Want home. Want read. Want tea. Can't sentence.

Hold me fast, hold me fast / 'Cause I'm a hopeless wanderer / I will learn, I will learn / to love the sky I wander. -Hopeless Wanderer, Mumford & Sons

8 comments:

  1. My Parents sold the house I grew up in the week before I graduated from High School. I didn't really fell any nostalgia about it at the time, because things were particularly hellish at that time, but I kind of am now. I find that my 'home' in most of my dreams is that place still.

    I hope that your day isn't as long as you fear and that you get your library someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Dead Week (the week before Finals week; do other places call it Dead Week?) so most of the days are pretty long. I think it should be better from here on out though. And thanks; it'll be tough getting rich on a teacher's salary, but I'll manage xD

      Delete
    2. I've never heard it called 'Dead Week' before, but apparently that is the common term for it. Also, books and book shelves aren't *that* expensive (some of the other stuff might be though =P).

      Delete
    3. Such as a house big enough to have a room that could support a library xD

      Delete
    4. You can always finance the purchase of a house, but I don't think they have the same option for a rolling ladder (perhaps there's a special program for short people though xD).

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize your parents were selling. Where will you go for Christmas and the like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I know they're staying relatively close (in the Puget Sound area), so I'll still be able to go to their new place for Christmas and such. I'll probably stick around Bellingham during the summers because I'll be paying rent so I might as well be utilizing the place. Which means you should come visit me lots =]

      Delete
    2. I approve of that lotses. :D

      Delete