Monday, August 29, 2011

"Anxious-Excited, Definitely."

Song of the Day: Adult Female by Hank Green

So here's something weird-but-not-really-all-that-weird-when-you-actually-think-about-it. Different instruments sound like different very abstract ideas. So strongly that you don't even think about it when you hear them, you just go straight to feeling it. And I wonder if everyone hears/feels the same things upon hearing them, or if it's a bit subjective. Personally, these are my feelings on the following:
Harmonicas sound like wandering and loneliness; not always a bad loneliness. They just sound like the lazy sort of wail that is generally most permissible when one is by oneself. I really love harmonicas.
Acoustic guitar sounds like the truth.
Banjos sound like home. Not in the specific sense--my home could certainly never be associated with banjos--but more in the sense that a banjo can make a place sound and feel like home.
Pianos sound either relaxed and slightly mischievous (if it's jazz) or, if it makes any sense, the embodiment of hope, whether it's hopefulness or hopelessness. The poignancy of all things hope-related.
Innit funny that I can't decide what cellos sound like?

I was hoping it would stay cloudy today, I'm in a cloudy mood. I put on my flannel and everything. Speaking of vaguely related topics, I'm going to stop blogging and go pack. I'm hoping I'll get through my clothes this afternoon; sort between the ones to keep and the ones to donate, then pack all the ones I won't need over the coming week. WEEK. Nuts.
I'm listening to Hank Green and The Blues Brothers to keep sentimentality to a minimum. I think I'll end up writing an emotionally charged song later that, when I go back and play it, will probably be awful. Welp. That's my plan for the afternoon/evening.
I'd be interested in other thoughts on the instrument thing, either agreements, criticisms or additions. Yipes, my brain is everywhere.

A wanna be a church mouse / I wanna be a lighthouse. -Leah Houghton

3 comments:

  1. I can understand what you mean by the Acoustic Guitar sounding like truth. I will add that an clean electric guitar by itself provides a similar effect. Also, Harmonica to me sounds like righteousness. It's not the righteousness of religion or arrogance, but of honesty above anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think because I associate cellos largely with you, it always puts me in mind of boldness. Not that you're necessarily outgoing - though you can be - but you're just so passionate about cellos and playing and the fact that they are so awesome and anyone associated with cellos is likewise.
    Personally, I find any music with classic stringed instruments (cello, upright bass, viola, violin, fiddle) to be automatically much cooler - the fiddle in particular.
    It's funny that violins and fiddles are two different instruments to me. They're not literally, not at all - only in the sense of how they're played and what kind of music they play. But I very much associate different things with each of them. Not to give me a definitive idea or feeling, but enough that they are completely separate for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'll take being associated with boldness and passion regardless of how indirect or inaccurate it may be =D And I was about to admonish you for forgetting that there's no difference between fiddles and violins, but luckily I read on before saying anything. Clearly I shouldn't have doubted you, because you know your shit.

    ReplyDelete