Friday, August 12, 2011

Journals

Song of the Day: Shake Your Tailfeather by The Blues Brothers feat. Ray Charles

Kayley posted a video today showing a bunch of different journals she had and what she used them for. I have a very similar collection of journals that aren't actually journals, and thought it would be fun to go through them, which I haven't done in some time. I'll probably make this into a video response at some point, too. Who knows.
1. "Literature." This is a purple journal that my sister gave me. It has a twin green one in which I started writing a story (the idea was kinda cool, I may revisit it to see if I can actually make it go somewhere). Anyway, this purple journal holds quotes from books. It only had one in it because I thought of the idea and promptly forgot about it, but I spent a few minutes today writing in some of the ones I underlined from "The Great Gatsby." I'm hoping I'll be better about adding to it than I have been in the past.
2. "Music." This is a lovely little journal I found that has pages that look age-colored and are very faintly patterned with sheet music. At one point I had used it to jot down notes about the quartet I was in (set lists, music to acquire, etc.), but I took out those few pages and have decided to put down both quotations about music and good lines from songs. I feel like it will fill up quickly.
3. "Friends." This is a little purple journal where I write down cool things my friends say. My personal favorite: "I'll miss you like the horizon misses the sun in the dead of night." The friend who said that is probably the only person I know who could say that without a) sounding like he's joking or b) having too much read into it. Sometimes I feel like he's a character from a John Green novel.
4. "The Little Leather Journal." This one is probably my favorite. I've written about it before. This holds every thought that can't go in other places. Notes to people that they don't need to see but that I need to write. Snatches of songs that I can't write all the way through. Lists of things I like that all start with the same letter (I've only done A and B so far). And sometimes I just take a line from a song and decorate it.
That's the only page of it I'll ever show anyone. Don't you feel SPECIAL and INCLUDED?
5. "Green." Looks-wise, this is the crown jewel of my collection. Green leather stamped with the image of a forest. There's a silver leaf on the front right and a little leather strap wraps around it to keep it closed. I need to take a picture, words can't do it justice.
There's really not much in it. A map I sketched to go along with a story I was writing. I think I decided at one point that it would be for things that had to do with my stories. I just bought it because it was too beautiful to leave on the shelf.
That's it for the most part. I have a few old notebooks where I wrote down funny quotations/inside jokes that my friends said in middle and high school. And when I go back through them I can remember perfectly how each one originated. I also have a Harry Potter one like Kayley's (her mom made them for us for Christmas) and it started out as a "Why 2011 is/was Awesome" log but I stopped at one point. Things didn't necessarily get less awesome, although the timing of when I stopped writing in it was kind of ironic xD I may start it up again, because there are going to be awesome things happening and I want to record them.

There's a meteor shower tonight. I'm heading down to the beach and hopefully the view there will be okay. Plus Brett is coming because he's finally home! Haven't seen him since June, so that will be exciting. I'll put up with the shit he gives me about beating me to college because at some point, when he least suspects it, I will smack him down with the fact that his House's heirloom is a pretty tiara, and mine is a badass sword.

I'm pretty sure Bob Dylan is the only person who will ever get away with sounding like Bob Dylan.

A song will lift as the mainsail shifts / and the boat drifts out to the shoreline / And the sun will respect every face on the deck / The hour that the ship comes in. -When The Ship Comes In, Bob Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment