Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Lot of Moving

Song of the Day: Down to the River to Pray by RedDog

We (Bahia and the Lore) performed today at the Island County Fair. It turned out to be quite fun. The acts before us were all from a local dance school, and they were really fun to watch. The audience response was enthusiastic and supportive for every single act, which was really nice to see and created a great community atmosphere. It was kinda funny because the fairgrounds are pretty small, so in between our songs (many of which are pretty mellow) we could hear the petrified screams of tweens on the rides. We had a good performance though; despite the heat, our energy was up and we all played well (I even rocked my solos). Afterward we went to Coupeville (a cute little beach town on the sound) for lunch with Bahia and Maria and their respective mothers, and it was surprisingly pleasant. I thought it might be strange and/or boring to be the only young-ish person there. Luckily I wasn't just peppered with questions about college.
The drive out and back was really lovely. I love driving. I can think about things, or they can just go away for a while. It was nice driving through rural-ish Washington and listening to bluegrass. Very comforting.
While I was waiting for the ferry this morning I saw an old couple (probably in their seventies, maybe eighties) walking to a restaurant and they were holding hands. It was somehow reassuring to see a couple that had been together for so long and hadn't started to hate each other.
I may go to Portland next week to visit Lucas. It would be both a good and a bad thing. Good because I miss him quite a lot and Portland is cool, but bad because that will mean I don't have hours this week. And my official last day is Saturday. Right now I'm not on the schedule at all because my numbers were bad (here's my question: how am I supposed to fix that if I don't work AT ALL?), but my manager is supposed to call me tomorrow and I'm going to ask for a shift on Tuesday, maybe a closing shift on Wednesday too. If he doesn't give me anything on Thursday or Friday, I'll start the process of wheedling my parents into letting me leave them with one car for those two days. But I gotta make sure I'm home for that game on Saturday ;)
Yesterday my mom was commenting on the fact that I don't talk to her and said, "I hope there's someone you DO talk to. It's not good to keep things bottled up, you know." Okay. 1. There is no WAY I would want to confide in her after seeing the way she treats my dad when he tries to talk about anything. She acts like it's SUCH a chore to listen to him. She'll just walk out of the room. Guess what, bitch? You married the guy. You could at least pretend to have a little respect for him. 2. Yeah, there ARE people I talk to. People who don't roll their eyes at me constantly and then wonder why I won't open up. 3. I disagree. Sometimes things get bottled up and then they go away and everything's fine. Problem solved. MOTHER GET OUT OF MY BLOG. I AM DETERMINED TO BE CONTENT TODAY.
I want to go dancing. I wish Emily were home. Even though I never end up getting asked much and dance pretty poorly when I do, a night out with her is always a fun one. And I love it even if I'm terrible at it. God, I'm in an abusive relationship with dance xD
I need to go write a song called "Nomad Mountain Outlaws." I saw that on a sign at a viewpoint on Eastern Washington and can't get it out of my head.

Love sings a song as she sails through the sky / The water looks bluer through her pretty eyes / And everyone knows it whenever she flies / And also when she comes down. -The Ballad of Love and Hate, The Avett Brothers

2 comments:

  1. I used to have that exact criticism lobbed at me so often. It may be rooted in genuine concern, but I just find it be passive-aggressive and selfish. Ok, I don't want to mess with your contentedness.

    I hope you get some hours for your last week to gets teh moneys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure the concern is real. But a simple and genuine "Hey, I'm here if you need to talk" and occasional check-ins are SO much more effective that PRODDING it out of someone.

    ReplyDelete